Sunday 24 February 2013

Christmas 2012 - Back to the UK



England – So I left Kenya and 30 degrees plus sunshine and landed in England at 6am to a balmy 5 degrees! I was lucky, the week before it had been - 5 during the day!). It was good to be back for a couple of weeks and catch up with friends and family. I had been away for the previous 2 Christmas’s. 2010 I worked in La Plagne in the French Alps for a ski season, so I was there for Christmas and in 2011 I had been in Kenya sharing Christmas and new year with volunteers here in Kenya (refer to earlier blog posts for 2011 Christmas and New Year).
I spent the first 3 days in Roehampton at my sister’s (Ruth) new pub – The Kings Head, a Young’s pub that has just been fully refurbished. It is a great place and if anyone drops by please mention you know me or my blog and you may get a free pint!! Ruth always enjoys it when random people who have encountered me drop by for a pint! http://www.kingsheadsw15.co.uk/.
My friends Eddie and Allys threw a party one night for all the Kenya volunteers who were in the UK. Eddie is a great cook and around 10 of us got together for fine food, a little wine and lots of catching up.
Then I travelled to my Parents for Christmas, before heading to North of England to see friends and to the Lake District http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/ for some walking.





 I was in the Yorkshire Dales http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/ town of Settle for New Year and then meandered back to London before flying home to Kenya. To those who made the trip special a big thanks for a warm welcome, your patience when listening to my tales of Kenya and your fine food. You know who you are……

Whilst at home, 3 kind donors had provided me with laptops to give to the Polytechnic and assist with setting up an ICT/Computer course. This gave me the amusing scenario at airport security. In my hand baggage I had 4 laptops, 2 cameras, a kindle, etc. Passing through you have to remove all laptops and electrical equipment!!!
I put my bag on the counter and got the first tray. Removed a laptop and pushed it on. Then another tray and another laptop, and another, 4 in all including mine, followed by a camera. 7 trays including my bag and shoes, etc. clogging up the conveyor! Great banter with thankfully cheerful and helpful security people who probably enjoyed something different from the norm. I was a little worried about my reception at Kenyan security and how to explain my bag full of technology but luckily there was no query at the other end and I passed through in no time.

If anyone else has an old laptop gathering dust in a cupboard, please consider donating it to our Polytechnic. Get in touch and we can get it delivered to my Parents in Huntingdon, UK and then I will co-ordinate with them to arrange delivery once we have a few. With planned multiple classes each laptop will benefit 20-30 people a year. With the average family being 6, if each trainee then gets a job and valuable income through the skills learnt then, 180 people could directly benefit each year from the donation of the laptop that is cluttering up your cupboard. If you are interested, or know someone or a business that may be able to assist, please the contact link to this blog or e-mail me direct simon.dixon67@gmail.com.   

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those pictures of the UK are amazing! And great job with the computer training.

    ReplyDelete