Sunday 4 March 2012

20-28th Feb - Let there finally be light!!

20 Feb – Normal day today. Afternoon sessions at the Polytechnic have been revised to allow for additional games practice due to the impending inter-polytechnic competition Early March.
21 Feb – My birthday today I had received a few cards from home so opened them – half way to 90 as my Brother kindly reminded me!!! I was wished a hearty Happy Birthday by the Orphanage staff during chai and then set off to work. I had arranged for meat from the local butchers in Kabati to surprise the staff at the Polytechnic. It made a welcome enhancement from their Githeri. I chose not to take in Cakes as they are not good here!!.  I made sure there was a surplus so the cook could take some home for her family who do not normally get meat except at Christmas. In the evening I called family and friends.
22 Feb – Met the Chairman first thing to run through the minutes of the Board of Governors meeting. I was expecting some resistance to my more explicit minutes with clear actions and timelines but all was agreed for printing. This was followed by assisting to resolve a couple of staff issues then a staff meeting. We finished at 2 as we break today for mid-term holidays. Then home to do hand washing before a couple of days away.
23 Thurs – I decided to use the mid-term break to catch up on internet and charge my computer at the internet café in the morning (still no electricity!!) before setting off to Baraka Polytechnic near Muranga (about 50km away) to meet and stay with Tom (an American Volunteer doing similar work to me). Before setting off and whilst in Kandara I met a councillor who I had seen before and he offered to take me to the town hall to meet other members etc. I said I could not as I was in civi’s (t-shirt and jeans) but he insisted. I met many people the best bit though was meeting the Clerk who is the most senior civil servant at the council. I managed to drop into the conversation about the electricity position at the Orphanage and when it was to be paid. I was being reasonably polite. Then Mary, my neighbour from the Orphange (a 26 year old who is passionate about the Orphanage) who proceeded to give him a full on attack about the situation – good sport!!!   
The ride to Baraka was about 50km (the max I am allowed by VSO to venture from my placement on the bike. This is to avoid volunteers – as has happened – going on epic tours of countries, shame really!!). Baraka Polytechnic is about 4km off the main road between Maragua and Muranga. Tom met me at the Junction and I followed him down dirt tracks and through sleepy villages to a very smart complex. Baraka Poly used to be a World Vision school so has all the mod cons of a well planned NGO development. Including a 4 room house for Tom!! Very jealous but not really doing the living like the locals bit – I console myself with that anyway. Some of the instructors also live on site and I meet James who was at the Nakuru conference. After a brief tour of the complex, including a new fish farm area that they are very pleased with, we walk down to the river to see the waterfall. We can hear it long before we see it. It is about 40m high and about 75m across including a vast cave undercutting the fall. It is in mid flow when I am there and I can only imagine the force and noise when it is in flood. Apparently Freedom Fighters hid in the cave during the troubles.
Back at the poly we chill out as the sun sets chatting, comparing notes about the poly and exchanging stories on the terrace overlooking the valley. Then gin and tonic and dinner. Very civilised.

24 Friday – A lazy start to the day with fine omelette breakfast and great coffee. Then we take a walk to try and see Mount Kenya. Unfortunately it is too hazy but it is a lovely morning and we stroll along the dirt tracks. Late morning I set off back and south of Kenol I take a short cut back to Kandara on a dirt road. This takes me past Kiranga poly so I drop in there for lunch with some of the team before heading back to the Orphanage.
25 Saturday – Have a couple of friends round for the day and we visit the baby unit etc before travelling to Thika for shopping and a change of scene. Friends Round, Baby unit, Thika shopping etc. When I get back there is a coach load of students from a Kenyan University visiting they have brought donations and are helping the kids with washing and playing (mostly the latter!!) and generally giving the youngsters a great time. Later I join them in the hall for food and some presentations etc.  
26th Sunday – visit friends and a bit of a chill out 
27th Monday – The poly is still on mid term break. I take the opportunity to travel to Thika to renew temporary driving licence. Can’t believe it is 3months since I passed my test here!! The permanent licence can take upto a year to come so every 3 months I have to get a stamp and the date changed. I stop at a café where I am to meet a couple of Instructors from the poly. I have not been feeling great but now start feeling sick dizzy, etc etc. After nearly feinting I decide to drop out of the meet and get home. I sleep 3 hours and feel much better. I guess it was something I ate and my body was asking me to shut down whilst it sorted it out!!. Late PM I walk to Kiranga visit the chaps at the poly again and have dinner with them. Having not eaten much and now recovered I was starving.
28th Tuesday – Let there be light!! Finally tonight I have electricity at 9pm. What a novelty and a treat!! The things we take for granted in the OK are so much more appreciated when you have been without for around 4 weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment