Sunday 20 January 2013

1st December - Goat for Dinner!


Following receipt of cash from a donor Kandara Children’s home purchased a goat. There was a request earlier for me to go and pick it up on my little 125 motorbike with Joseph the grounds man.  That would have meant Joseph the goat and me on the bike. I declined! It may have been fun but there are strict rules on bike usage from VSO. More importantly however it was raining on and off and the thought of riding 5km in wet very slippery clay mud was enough to result in me declining to help.
Whilst I have been to a number of feasts and ceremonies, I have so far managed to arrive after the slitting of the goats throat. I have on a number of occasions been offered the honour of performing the act!! So far I have declined as I am a bit soft and struggle to inflict pain on a living animal (happy to eat them just do not want to do the gory bit!). Anyway I decided this time to watch the act and see whether I felt I could do the deed next time.
So the kids gathered in and around the pen and 3 of the older boys tied the back legs of the goat. The legs were then hoisted in the air so the goat was suspended with its head towards a pan on the floor. One of the boys then started sawing away at its neck with a carving knife. Much squealing from the goat and cheering from the kids and the goat stopped twitching. The blood was drained away and the butchering started. 


To western people this may seem inhumane and barbaric but it is daily life here in Kenya. There are not many fridges etc so meat it killed at the time of needing it for cooking. At least it is fresh. All ages watch and in time begin to be allowed to partake with chickens first, then as they get older they move onto larger fare. That way by the time the boys have to fend for themselves they are well versed in slaughtering and butchering.
Having witnessed the slaughter I am not sure I could do it so I may stick to the eating bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment