Tuesday 5 June 2012

End of May - Puncture in the Dark


22-30 May pretty quiet and normal stuff. 
Thursday -31st I am delayed at the Kibe’s place due to dinner taking longer to cook than planned. Luckily I was on the motorbike for the journey down the 4km of dirt road with no lights in the dark!! I set off and something felt wrong. After 500m down the hill I realised the front tyre was flat. Not a place for a Mzungu on a relatively expensive bike compared to the locals, with a laptop in his rucksack. I couldn’t park the bike up for risk of losing it, I couldn’t push it back up the hill, I was not going to push it the remaining 3.5km home! The only option I really had was to ride it home with the flat tyre (not completely flat but pretty much. Anyone who has tried riding a motorbike or bicycle with a flat front tyre will know this is not fun. Add to that a very uneven dirt road and I was just waiting to hit the deck! A few “minor wobbles” and “scares” but I made it back to the orphanage intact. Not a journey I want to repeat.
Friday 1st June – Madaraka Day (Freedom) Celebrating the Kenyan Parliament taking control of the country. This is 6 months after Jaimuri Day which is Independence Day – the day independence from colonial rule was granted. The 6 months was used for elections and forming a parliament etc. Madaraka Day is celebrated in all towns and cities with bands, parades and speeches.


I also got the puncture fixed - 80 shillings or around 50p. Kwik Fit eat your heart out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment