Friday 30 November 2012

19-23 - Trip to the Coast "working" honest!

VSO UK have asked me to travel to the coast to take some photographs of their International Citizenship Service programme this is where 18-25 year olds from the UK together with Kenyan youth volunteers work together on community projects for 3 months stints. http://www.vso.org.uk/volunteer/opportunities/for-18-25-year-olds

I will be working in Kalifi and Malindi. However, I chose to travel early and have a few days on the coast first. I stayed for 4 days at Watamu Bay in the Bustoni Ya Eden Hotel http://bustani.ch/pages/home.php?lang=EN which is a great place just back from the beach and as it is not on the beach it is a great price . I got 3 nights for 1400 kshs per night for a single room with breakfast. This compares with about 5000-10000 per night on the beach. It is also run by Elvis a local chap with an amazing energy and great customer service. Anyone wishing to visit please call Elvis (who speaks fluent English, Italian and German in addition to Kiswahili) on +254708539853.

I had a great time walking and chilling on the beach, entertaining the locals in the wood shack cafes with my kiswahili and visiting turtle watch a VSO supported programme to rescue and support the turtle population from tourism, environmental and fishing risks. Visit http://www.watamuturtles.com/ for more information on this programme.

The temperature on the coast is 35+ every day and does not cool down much in the evenings so I was sweating constantly - I do not think I could work on the coast but it is good to visit. Luckily I had a good shower in the hotel which was used 3-4 times a day.

Here are some photos of Watamu mostly of the sunrise on my second day - beautiful!.











I

No comments:

Post a Comment