Wednesday 11 January 2012

31 December - Mount Longonot and New Years Eve

Full English breakfast in the bar prepared us well for a climb up what the sign said was a 29,000 ft mountain (higher than Everest then?? I think the sign writer got carried away with his “0’s”). Mount Longonot is a volcano that is still technically active although it has not blown for a very long time. The walk involves what is described as an 8km approach walk (we did it in 50mins so I think the sign writer was having an off day!!) then the rim of the volcano is an 11km circuit (judging by the fatigue levels afterwards, I think the distance was right on that!). Once on the rim the view is very impressive. The crater is huge.



The base inside is about 200m below the rim and with a thick layer of vegetation. A short way along the rim we came to a sign noting a path down to a steam vent we had seen from a distance. The path was very steep and a little precarious (no UK style Health and Safety concerns here!!) Only 3 of us decided to have a go (the others balked on the basis of the heat and also the nature of the path as far as we could see). It was climbing down a foot wide very steep dirt path with only clumps of grass to hold onto. Those who know me will know I have a sporadic and irrational fear of heights which was severely tested on both the descent and the climb back. Much hyperventilating and not looking down!! The heat vent was amazing and surreal. I think I also muttered the words “blimey that steam is hot” (well it is steam…..?). The heat inside the crater generally was overwhelming as there was no breeze due to the crater walls. 














By the time we got to the top we quaffed about half a litre of water in one go. This was also due to encountering a small (about 2ft long and under in inch in diameter) but vivid bright green coloured snake on the way up (it crossed the path just 2 feet in front of me) I think it was hiding near one of the clumps of grass I grabbed. Later we discovered it was a Green Mamba, one of the deadliest snakes in Kenya!! Glad I did not know that on the way up or when I was poking around in the grass to show the others what it was!! The whole walk took about 6 hours and back at the car park we had a celebratory beer like true English people!

Then it was back to Carnelley’s to freshen up for New Year’s Eve. We found a great alcove at the bar that could seat all 18 of us and provided almost a private party feel. Others had joined us for New Year’s eve there were parents of one person and friends of volunteers etc. 


                                           Some of the boys above and most of the girls below



Sadly the DJ insisted on playing what he liked and not what the clientele of the bar wanted so dancing was reasonably limited. A few games, lots of chatting and some reluctant dancing (on my part!! Those who have seen my thunderbird dance will know what I mean there!!). Usual count down and New Years Eve hugs etc. I made it to 1.30 but being old called it a day then. 

1 comment: