Saturday 21 January 2012

Upto 21 January

Took the remaining 20 balloons to the Baby Unit I blew them all up and left them with the ladies as the kids were sleeping. Apparently they lasted about 5 minutes but much fun was had, lots of smiles and giggles and the odd tear.
Monday night I met Joyce who is a Kiswahili teacher at a local school. I desperately need to accelerate my ability and will be having a one hour lesson a week. I have asked her to push me and not let get away with not doing my homework!! I get an allowance from VSO and will be having 15 lessons. Let’s see if I can be a good pupil!!
The new first years at the Polytechnic arrived all enthusiastic on Tuesday and the instructors got stuck into teaching after a welcome assembly and speeches from all including me (even a smattering of Kiswahili!!). The temporary manager had to go to the Ministry a couple of days so I was holding the fort in the office - continuing enrolment, collection of fees and form filling. Meeting the parents as the money was brought in. Ensuring those eligible for a “needy case” reduction in fees had a letter from the Chief or Sub-Chief verifying their case. It was fun and a good way of testing my Kiswahili in action, a bit daunting at times.
Tuesday afternoon was Games so I had a tough afternoon playing volleyball. A great way to meet the new ones and a good opportunity for them to mix.
The Ministry require a vast amount of information about the institutions historic performance, staff information for some could be a challenge.  Also without a computer or photocopier it has involved time consuming trips to Kandara 6km away on foot or via 2 matatu.
Rest of the week pretty normal. I have started my workshops this week with some introductory stuff and get down to the nitty gritty next week.
Another weekend in Kandara ahead. This morning catching up with domestic stuff and the rest of the time chilling at the orphanage and will go out for a trek both days and continue my random explorations of the area. Will try and get some photos to brighten up the blog pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment