Monday 30 January 2012

Up to 29 Jan - Unexpectedly Mad off Road Biking and a Matatu Crash

Monday 23 Jan

Busy day at work as we had a report to complete for the Ministry for a meeting on Tuesday. It required a lot of information about the previous years performance, projections for this year, etc etc. Without the old Manager it was a challenge to find some of the info. Luckily a lot of the information was in a background review I had completed in my first 2 months which helped to short cut things. We completed as much as we could, and after some frantic last minute photocopying in Kandara (no computers, printers or a copier at the Polytechnic), Dorcas (the acting Manager) although nervous, was as ready as she could be for the meeting on Tuesday.

During the day I received a text from VSO Jitolee in Nairobi (circulated to all volunteers) advising us to be extra vigilant and avoid crowds and public places, keep travel to a minimum of between work and home.  This was due to the ICC ruling being due at 13.30 that day on the Ocampo 6 charged with being involved in the 2007/8 troubles. The concern was that either way one party might feel aggrieved. As it happened either, there is a much more positive view amongst Kenyans now and a strong drive to avoid a repeat, or the high police presence in the previously affected areas (or both) meant there was no trouble to speak of.

Monday evening I met Joyce my Kiswahili teacher for my first lesson at the Quicky CafĂ© in Kandara centre & Nancy who had put me in touch with Joyce after a chance meeting on a Matatu. The lesson was due to start at 5pm. As with all things in Kenya we started late. Although my vocabulary is getting better, Joyce’s initial “test” comprised mostly words I had not got yet. By the middle of the lesson I had recovered some of my confidence and managed to show that I had at least learnt something in the first 2 months. It was good to have two people to bounce things off and if I did not get something the other could offer a different perspective. After an hour and a half my brain was fried and we stopped (was only supposed to be a 1 hour lesson). That did, however, mean it was now gone 7pm and dark as I walked through Kandara followed by a half mile track down an unlit road to the Children’s Home. I was very mindful of the warning text at this point!!! Luckily I got home trouble free and chilled out having dinner and watching a film.

Tuesday – with Dorcas away at the Ministry I was holding the fort in the office completing more trainee registrations. They are still trickling in and we are now about 20% up on 1st year intake from last year which makes all the presentations and advertising we did in December worthwhile. I also had to help with the completion of CDF (Community Development Fund) Bursary forms. These have to be collected and processed through about 4 different organisations by the trainees or parents. One is verification, reference and stamping by the Polytechnic. The money this provides works out at about half of the first terms fees to the trainees family.

After work I walked home with Jane the cook as I was hoping to give Alex (Jane’s 14 year old son) another computer lesson. Unfortunately, he was not back until after 5.30 and I needed to get back to do some hand washing before dark. It did mean I managed to watch Shrek on the Laptop with the younder ones (and parents) which was a giggle.

Wednesday – Started the day with Chai on the steps of the Orphanage dining hall with the staff as I was going in on my Motorbike I had more time. Always a good chilled start to the day.
Dorcas had returned with more information required by the Ministry, but also news that our  document had been the best which was nice feedback especially to help boost Dorcas confidence in her new position.

The afternoon we caught up on admin, etc. After work I set off on an explore on the motorbike and also to improve my off-road riding skills. The roads I had chosen were a little more challenging than I anticipated and the distance was further too. Deep sand or deeply rutted dirt tracks made up about 50% of the route so both the bike and I took a battering. I used a few of my nine lives and defied gravity a number of times. I was pleased to get back having remained upright although how i have no idea.

Thursday – I took a workshop in the afternoon on Production. This is a requirement of the ministry and the Board of Governors (BOG) to generate additional income by utilising the facilities and the trainees to produce products or provide services to the community on a commercial basis. This has been a requirement of the Ministry for the last 2-3 years and other than a few uniforms, not a great deal has been produced. I decided to open up about the financial rational for the institution to try and boost understanding and buy in. Basically without production income we make a loss. It is therefore essential to the viability of the organisation. Most were astute enough to have already worked this out and were very supportive. A couple will need a little more encouragement. All subjects are to prepare a business plan as if they were an independent business and include an application to the BOG for start-up funds (as if they were approaching a bank). This process can also be shared with the trainees to assist if they want to set up on their own on completion of the course or sometime after.
Thursday evening usual second hand wash of the week, dinner and bed.

Friday – More ministry documentation and Dorcas having again to do the 1 hour trip there. This meant it was for me to chair the staff meeting. Two of the most vocal instructors were not present so what would normally be a 2 hour meeting was over in just over half an hour. That did of course mean that we did not have a full input. I will pick up with them next week.

Back at the orphanage, Kirsty the previous volunteer Kirsty was there with Carol a retired nurse who was at the orphanage last year for 2-3 months. Carol has come back for 3 weeks to help with the healthcare of the children.

Saturday – Spring clean the house, etc. then a long chat over a cup of tea with Carol. Much exchange of experiences, life plans, etc. Later, I visited Dorcas (acting Manager at the Poly) who had invited me to her home. I met Mark her partner and Jeremy her 18month old child – very cute. Mark is a motor vehicle instructor at a school 5 hours away so is away during the week. A very interesting chap and we chatted for ages. Dorcas then produced a feast of stew and chapattis. Then back home to chill out.

Sunday – Thika to shop for stuff I can’t get in Kandara. On the way home the Matatu stopped at the bottom of a slip road due to traffic. Suddenly there was a screech of tyres and a bang as a car rammed into the back of the Matatu where I was sat. Much gesticulating and shouting later the Matatu driver and conductor decided the very solid Matatu was pretty much undamaged. The car was a steaming crumpled mass that was not going anywhere. We continued our journey leaving a very embarrassed car driver. Later I popped round to Jane’s place to meet some visiting members of the family and chat to Elliod (Jane's Brother) in the shade of a tree.           

No comments:

Post a Comment