Sunday 20 November 2011

Wednesday & Thursday 16th & 17th November 2011




16 Nov - Weds

Pretty standard day at work, usual greetings on the way to work and met up with Dorcas en-route to work so walked the last 2 km with her, which was good to get to know her a bit better. She has been with IYP about 3 years and teaches tailoring and dress making. Her husband works in Nairobi during the week and travels home at weekends. I begin to get to know the institution a bit better today.

They have had around 25-30 students enrolled each year for the last few years and want to grow that to around 50/year. The exams that lead up to Poly are sat in early December and the results come out at the end of December. So trainees do not know their grades until 2-3 weeks before first terms start date. This does not give much time for the trainees, nor much certainty of income etc. This year we are going to go round the schools and other events in advance presenting the advantages and courses etc., offered by IYP in a bid to increase numbers to 35-40 this year and then to 50 next year.

Simon K the Electronics chap and I have been chatting re culture of UK v Kenya and got onto cuisine. He then offered to help me to cook a traditional Kenyan stew. We stopped at one of the local “shopping centres” [photo next week]. Think stalls at the side of the road etc., [not Arndale centre Manchester!!]. Back at my place we set to work and used most of the pans and plates etc., in my humble abode, and I learn how to cook ugari (maise flour and water which forms a large part of the staple diet of Kenyans and is very cheap but filling). Feeling very full Simon left before dark and the rest of the evening was pretty normal. For security reasons neither I not the instructors like to be out after dark. So once night falls I eat, check there is water in the WC cistern, fill the bucket for the morning, boil water to wash up, etc then settle down to do a little work, read a book or watch a film on my laptop. Sleep by 10pm. 

17 Nov – Thurs

Board of Governors, councillor and Senior Chief come to meet me at the Poly today!! Due at 10am. Chairman (Michael – the one that has a carpentry workshop and made my bed etc etc) turns up on time) he has worked with the English and other Europeans etc. The first BOG member turns up at around 20 minutes past. The Councillor around 10.45 and the  Senior Chief around 11.45. Need to get used to Kenya time. ( there is no Verb in Kiswahilli for “to be late”!!)

The SC was one of the founding members of the Poly so is right behind it. He seems a good man and apparently is very good at making things happen. He seemed to get on well with me, and had some good ideas and thoughts about the direction and priorities of the Institution. 

He also asked if everything was OK with me generally and re my accommodation etc. He then said – if I ever have any issues re security to let him know and he will arrange for things to be “rectified”. It is good to have the powerful men on my side!!

The area I live in is the main Kikuyu tribe and Kikuyu is the local language. I apparently have to at least have a passing knowledge of that in addition to Kiswahili!! One at a time I think really as Kiswahili is taking a little time although the Instructors seem impressed with my progress so far which is what matters.

Back home I go shopping in glorious sunshine around Kandara as it is market day. I meet a few of the local “characters” who chat to me and we entertain the locals for a while. Slowly people are beginning to know who I am and what I am doing here. In time I will be stared at less [hopefully] as the novelty of a mzungu living in the village wears off.
            
                                                                                         
There is no putting it off any longer, washing day has arrived. I collect water from the water but down the track, boil a couple of pans (suffurias) and then fill the “bath thing” and set to hand washing. As with most things I do at the Orphanage there are shortly a couple of “helpers” join me. All is complete fairly quickly and I hang shirts etc on the line and leave socks and smalls in my house (out of respect for the young ladies who are my neighbours). Then dinner which is a pack up from the Poly. Jane the cook is trying to fatten me up a bit!!. Then settle down to watch a film. Heavy rain overnight so clothes drenched in the morning but dry by the evening.

The climate here is great. Currently described as a cold season it drops to around 12-sh at night and varies between 25 and 30 during the day. This is the short rains season so we often get between 30mins and 2 hours of heavy rain each day but usually at night which is great as I am at home by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment