Sunday 20 November 2011

Saturday 12th November 2011




11/12/11Nairobi to Kandara

First Day of reality after a week of having a slightly spoilt intro to volunteering at the Grace House Resort. What a fantastic group of people especially Fred who really pushed us with our Kiswahili. Some progressed more than others!!!

Anyway, Saturday started early with us setting off in a taxi to the Matatu station. Before leaving there was a final breakfast with the team of volunteers and partner representatives. Smiles of excitement, apprehension, and trepidation especially those travelling to more remote locations. Then lots of hugs, and a presentation of flowers to Lucy our very patient Kiswahili teacher.
                                                                     


Isaac and I got in the taxi with Christine (from Kansas) and Michael her employer to drop them off at the Coach station to Bondo on the west of Kenya, then Isaac and I to the Matatu station to Thika. Nairobi traffic was at its best with people, pikipikis (motorbikes) bicycles and all means of transport all jousting ridiculously close to each other but somehow managing to miss each other? My parents will be pleased to know I am not allowed to ride my pikipiki into Nairobi J. After some serious negotiation by Isaac to avoid being overcharged for my 3 bags, etc., we got away with just paying for 3 seats – 2 for people and one for luggage. The Matatu was very hot but the Kenyans were cold so the windows stayed closed, unless we stopped in traffic which fortunately for the roasting Englishman was fairly frequent. Leaving the Nairobi township the terrain became more hilly and green with us passing pineapple farms, coffee plantations, etc., as the hills rose.

Arriving at Thika we took my luggage to the supermarket and left it with security - a chap sat on a stool who seemed to pay little attention to my worldly belongings (luckily they came to no harm whilst I shopped). We then shopped for the full spectrum of my needs for the two years – mattress, bedding, crockery, cutlery, pans, utensils, buckets, bowls etc. 20,000 Kenyan shillings later (where was my club card!!). Isaac then negotiated with the supermarket to take us to Kandara. “Wait a short time and we will pick you up outside”. Note to self - “short time” = 2 hours.

It was good though as we met three of the instructors from Ithiru Youth Polytechnic – Moses (Building & Technology), James (Motor Vehicle Studies: might be a helpful chap when my pikipiki plays up!!) and another Simon who is the Electrical Engineering Instructor. All very nice and friendly people who I amused with my attempts at Kiswahili!! The van finally arrived but then said “wait”, followed by “I just need to got to .… for 5 minutes . Note to self “5 minutes” = 30 minutes. Eventually we were on our way. One of the reasons for the original delay was that there had been an accident on one of the two roads to Kandara. We set of on the other road only to be stuck in a jam after 10 minutes. Static for another 10 minutes: the locals then start driving the wrong way down the opposite carriageway into the oncoming traffic[!]. Much hooting and flashing of lights but no accidents. Luckily just as we were to follow that option, our lanes cleared.

On to a carpentry place to pick up my newly modified bed (6ft x 4 ft bed originally now extended to 7ft to fit me – mattress still 6ft but at least I do not bang my head on the headboard). Then onto the Vision Africa Kandara Children’s Home.

                                                    Orphanage Entrance                      
 
The view from my front door – Banana Trees!!
We were greeted by lots of running kids some smiling and waving some puzzled by this Mzungo (European or white person) arriving. There are 80 kids at the orphanage ranging from about 2 months to 18. Irene the manager greeted us and the kids helped bring my kit to my house.
                                            
                                                     Samuel putting the finishing touches to my bed                   
                                                   
                                                      The bed in-situ, also my “wardrobe”       
My home is in a block of four studio-like homes for older kids and staff. Mine is about 3.5m x 4.5m plus an en-suite shower/wc area. Specification to VSOJ had been electricity, running water, flush toilet, wardrobe, chairs, desk, bed, etc., etc. Reality was a bed and a coffee table, 2 x sockets (neither working), no running water and the flush was possible if you fill the cistern up with water from a bucket first. Flexibility and Adaptability are the key reasons we were selected as volunteers……. J

Isaac took me shopping for consumables and showed me around town, introducing me to a few people. Then back to set up. We had forgotten a few things, but I gave Isaac his leave to spend time with his family and then braved a solo trip to Kandara.

                                                                                          Kandara

There was much staring and mumbling of Mzungu as I walked around the town. Much smiling too so all seemed friendly. A few came up to me or beckoned me across for a hand shake and introduction. Even given my limited Kiswahili they were impressed. I always tried to reply in Kiswahili even if they spoke to me in English. This was very much appreciated. My tactic was to tell as many people as possible that I was here for 2 years and not a tourist. Hopefully the word will spread and I will be less of an oddity walking around the streets. Not seen any other Mzungu since leaving Thika, which in many ways is good.

Back at home I unpacked and started to settle in. Dispensed with all the spiders and cobwebs, strange brown trails on the wall 1cm wide x .5 cm high dust like trails that must come from some sort of slug or snail thing – not seen one yet. Trail of tiny ants will take a little more perseverance but they keep themselves to themselves so far and only travel along one wall away from me so they are OK for now.
     
                                                                                                                                             
                                                My kitchen/dining room                                                      

                                       

                                             The ensuite – inc “bath” aka 'bowl'

Met me neighbours – on one side is Mary (16 or 17), Cecilia (Mary’s Sister about 13) and very cute Hope (Mary’s daughter about 2). I have met Lucy too but not sure if she has others in her house. I am yet to meet the person in the other house of my block but hope to on Sunday.







Mary told me that there were a number of visitors to the orphanage on Sunday and they will be very busy. She also told me that separately there is a former volunteer at the orphanage coming with her parents from Scotland and I can join them to be shown around.

No comments:

Post a Comment