Sunday 20 November 2011

Monday 14th November 2011




First Day at Work

Got up and met Isaac at the entrance. Forgot to allow for Kenya time so waited 20 mins of saying Habari to many people and being stared at a lot etc, etc. Met a slightly stressed and very sweaty Isaac (at this point I had not realised he walks 1.5hrs each way to work come rain or shine)

Walk in great heat 1km to the next Matatu stop. Then catch a Matatu the last 2km. Matatu full and  sauna like but the locals are cold so all windows stay shut. Luckily it is only a short trip as Isaac stops us early to meet the Chairman (him of the carpentry shop that made the bed)first time I have met him and he is a lovely generous spirited chap and very welcoming. After a tour of his workshop all 3 of us walk to the Poly.

Ithiru Youth Polytechnic is about 500m of the main road. It is in quite large grounds and the main building is a pretty good by local standards with teaching spaces on two levels. There are 3 timber pit latrines (Boys/Girls and Staff) a timber kitchen structure, a part complete building and a part complete garage area that is an extension to the main building. I will be sharing an office with Isaac the manager. The staff room we pass through to get to Isaacs office.



         
                                            
                                                                          Main building                                  
                                               
                                                                                  Kitchen                                   


I am introduced to the other staff, 3 of which I met outside the supermarket on Saturday and luckily for me I managed to remember their names!! The three I have not met are Catherine and Dorcas who run the tailoring and dressmaking course and Jane to lovely cook. Jane very quickly takes it upon herself to fatten me up a bit (that will please mother!!).

Monday and Friday are assembly days. Today it has been delayed for me!! So after the introductions and a brief tour, I am introduced to the Trainees. I am welcomed by a Kenyan welcome (Karibu) dance and very flattering speeches. Then I have to practice my Kiswahilli to an audience for the first time and get a round of applause for at least attempting it (a few sniggers too so I guess I, at least, need to work on the accent!). Very humbled we return to the staff room for a quick staff meeting.

Te rest of the day is spent chatting with Isaac,  the chairman and staff to get a clearer picture of the place and the people.

Lunch is provided and most days is a traditional mixed bean dish which apparently can play havoc with digestive systems not used to it. Quite filling too so note to self – ask for a small portion next time!

I leave at 2.30 with Simon K the Electrical Engineering tutor who walks home with me to fix the two sockets and bathroom light. (Hence how I now have juice in my laptop to write this diary J). On the way he shows me his little flat that he stays in during the week due to a long commute. I am also introduced to one of his former students who has his own business now a short walk from the Poly.

Market day in Kandara so we walk the 45 mins there to source the parts etc. In next to no time we have the bits and SK has all up and running. After a brief Chai stop he is on his way. I apply liberal amount of some newly purchased ant powder which should see off the little blighters that form a steady trial across my “lounge”. 

Later I had a call from Isaac who was in town and wanted to check all was well, which was nice.

Then out to collect water etc. A quick kick about with some of the boys from the orphanage which is a giggle to all involved. Off to buy eggs (Miyai cookoo). Then cook it on the stove to puzzled stares. An omelette in Kenya is breakfast food apparently and never for an evening? On re-entering the Orphanage, little Joe runs up and holds my hand for the whole of the walk back to my room – bless J. They are all great kids, so polite and all speak English. Final test of the day, electricity goes out and I am finishing my stuff to the light of the kerosene lamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment