Sunday 20 November 2011

Sunday 13th November 2011

12/11/11 – First Full Day in Kandara
                                                  
Initially yesterday I was a little shocked by the reality of the accommodation. However once I cleared the spiders and cobwebs, got my things sorted and especially after bleaching the bathroom things felt much better. Opening the door in the morning to see the above view, everything came into perspective.

I sorted a few things out, collected water, boiled water and topped up the filter etc., etc. I then went into Kandara for a haircut. No electricity yet so the clippers I brought are useless. Anyway at 40 shillings a cut (150 to the pound) I do not think the clippers will get much use!! I walked up the high street to many stares and one lady stopped and said “are you still here?”. I guess they do not see many “Mzungu’s” not being on the tourist trail. We chatted for a bit and she welcomed me to Kenya once she knew what I was doing there. I shook a few people’s hands who shouted across or stopped for a chat. The more people know me and why I am here the sooner the staring stops is my plan. The young chap in the barbers looked a little nervous when I entered. I am the first whitey hair cut he has done I guess. Whilst I am in the chair, people stop and stare in, some puzzled - some laughing. In the end the barber begins to enjoy the attention. A fine cut later and I continue on my travels to buy a modem and sim-card, plus a few other provisions.

Back to the pad I settle down to a book and a coffee. I kept my head down for a while as there were a lot of visitors (10 cars full – potential and current funders, etc). Then Mary from next door sticks her head round the door and introduces me to Kirsty (a volunteer at the Orphanage from a couple of years ago). She now works for Vision Africa (who support the orphanage) in Nairobi covering 14 Orphanages etc. Check out the website for VA (http://www.vision-africa.org/) and you can click on an option for Kandara Children’s Home. Kirsty is here with her Mum and Dad (Morag and Iain) who have galvanised their village to be major fundraisers for the elements of the place. This includes the veg patch in front of my home which is a memorial garden for a former keen gardener from the village who left some money for the Children’s home.






I am then taken on a tour which started with the baby unit. This place could melt even the hardest of souls! About 10  two-month to 2-year olds. Initially a bit shy of the 6ft 4in ghost man they ended up running up to be picked up, giggling all the time. 20 minutes of that and my arms ached but an amazing day already. We then went to the main hall where Morag made a speech and then introduced me so all knew who I was etc. I made a pathetic attempt at Kiswahili but got a good laugh anyway. Then back to the pad again. I then met 3 young chaps who appeared at my door and helped me take some photos. See below.
                                                    
                                                                  The locals saying hello   
      
                                             
                                                      A budding photographer behind the camera   
                                                       
                                                                          Is washing up so popular?

Later I went for a walk out of Kandara to another “shopping centre” in the other direction. Whilst walking amongst the stalls Dan introduced himself, quite a chatty one he was too. We walked further out of town and I was invited to tea with his family etc etc. I had to turn round however and get back before dark. (plus I had finally worked out he was sozzled) he left me at the junction back at the market area and I headed back. I cooked dinner (rice, butternut squash, onion and tomato with a few herbs). Whilst washing up I noticed I had an audience in the doorway. (open due to the heat). See the photo above. It is great living here J.


No comments:

Post a Comment