Sunday 18 December 2011

12 December - Independance Day in Kenya

In 1963 Kenya gained Independence from Britain and today is a time of great celebration all over the country. It is also a bank holiday. I dropped into the Kandara Stadium (think UK council football pitch/rec ground) where there were large gazeebos up and one had all the freedom fighters and veterans the other had all the dignitaries. In between the parade of the police and inspection etc happened. Then there were a number (large number) of speeches. I got chatting to the usual random group on the banking sheltering under a tree from the sun - "the poor people" as they described themselves compared to the "wealthy" in the dignitaries tent! I stayed for a few but all were quite rightly in Kiswahili so I could only pick up snippets of it and left after an hour or so. On the way back I spotted a man selling chapati rollers so bought one to avoid having to shape them with the palm of my hand again like last time!! On my way home Irene the manageress at the children's home spotted me and the roller and though it was hilarious that I was going to make my own. She insisted I let her taste one. Later that evening she was very kind and polite and said it was very good. I think I still need a little more practise....

No comments:

Post a Comment