Thursday 29 December 2011

Christmas in Nairobi

Have internet in Nairobi so thought I would catch up. 
24th - Said my goodbyes at the orphanage over breakfast and then popped to Jane the Poly cooks family to give a few presents (crayons, paper, sweets, football etc) and have brunch. More photos and I showed them how to make hats out of newspaper and also paper aeroplanes. There was paper all over as I left but big beaming smiles from all. I insisted they leave the presents to be opened on xmas day but reports suggest they were very well received.


Their Christmas involves the family being together and dancing and singing. Few if any presents generally where I am living as paying for food and clothes takes most if not all cash. 


Then Matatu to Nairobi. I was meeting Catherine (an American volunteer who works out in the West of Kenya in Kisumu) at Nairobi Bus station and then getting a Taxi to Mountain View where we were gathering for Christmas. 


Harvey was housing me and Catherine was at the Girls house. We had home made pizzas and a "couple of beers" at Andrea and Nicole's house which was looking very festive. Andrea and Nicole did all the organising which was great. Nick, Nicole's chap was over from the UK too which was great. 


Christmas day started with a Phillipino breakfast at Harvey's early on then a full English (with Irish coffee too) at the Girls place. Presents, singing and a few games took us to early evening when we had a Phillipino Xmas dinner cooked by Harvey with the rest of us peeling and chopping etc. 


L-R = Harvey, Nicole, Nick, Andrea, Chin, Catherine
Sorry about the legs!!


Chin, Catherine and Nick
Skyped into the family Christmas in Milton Keynes which was good I was passed around all and had a quick chat and then left them to their feast at my Brother's house


All good and I ate far too  much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment