Thursday 1 December 2011

23/11/11 - Travelling to Nairobi

23/11/11
Stop off at the doctors home (en-route to work) and have my dressing changed and get cleaned up. Then final close down stuff at work for the end of term. Isaac and I will be working over the holidays but the others are away once the exams are over. We have a close out meeting with the staff. The first real working meeting since my arrival and now people have relaxed, someof personalities and issues came out which was good as I got to see more clearly what some of the issues are a clearer picture of the relationships.
Around 3.30 I boarded a Matatu for Nairobi via Thika. Normally a 90 minute journey so should arrive well before dark. Nairobi traffic chaos at its best and I do not get into town until gone 7pm. Very hot very sweaty and I still have to find my way to Westlands where Harvey (another volunteer who is kindly putting me up for the night lives). Given the hour I chicken out of finding the right Matatu and get a taxi. As soon as we set off it is obvious at least one of the wheels is severely buckled and the brakes are based more on blind hope than any technological advances! Driver says he knows where it is and I try and relax. 20mins later it is obvious he is lost but luckily I have directions via text and have been tracking the route. Between us we eventually get to Harvey’s place.
The Nairobi volunteers call their lives “VSO light” they live in normal houses and work in offices in suits generally, even having cappuccino’s sometimes in the cafes! They also have real toilets and warm showers – luxury! Harvey is Philippino and is cooking some food to take round to the girls house. They are preparing pizzas (home made) and are hosting Chin another Philippino girl from out of town. Chin, Enrique and I are doing the PikiPiki (motorbike) training Thurs-Monday hence our visit to Nairobi. It is a great opportunity to catch up with our fellow Nov intake crew. The girls house is amazing it is a 4 bed detached and all 4 have double beds and their own bathrooms etc! Both them and Harvey are in a Secure estate with various layers of security throughout the complex. That is the main reason VSOJ put people in there as security must be paramount.

No comments:

Post a Comment