Thursday 1 December 2011

22/11/11 - Lots of Blood and a Visit to a Kenyan Hospital - Oooops!

Comedy Bandage !!
22/11/11
Normal day at work until I walk into a low concrete beam hitCting my head right on the corner at some speed. Crouched on the floor thinking “that hurt a bit” I notice a little commotion as staff knock over chairs and spill papers to get to me. I had not noticed the blood on the floor and flowing through my fingers until then – oops! They look after me well and we soon stop the flow. I am happy to carry on at work but the team are bordering calling an ambulance. I manage to compromise on walking with Simon K (electrical chap) to the hospital. He knows one of the Doctors there. I figure if I can walk the 4km I must be OK. Anyway a little waiting and a ridiculous comedy bandage later I am all fixed up. My first experience with the Kenyan Health Service was a good one. Back to work walking all the way. All surprised I came back but very relieved I am OK. My new family looked after me very well and I am grateful.
The experience highlighted a few things to sort out too, one adapt the building round the beam to stop people being able to walk under (I am not the only one to hit it, I just did it better than the others J). Also we have no first aid kit or first aider. Given the nature of our courses all feel this is necessary. One for the list for next year.
I wear a baseball cap on the journey home so as not to attract even more attention than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment